I just released Clamp, a command line tool to make starting a full Apache, PHP, MySQL stack up and running a breeze. Go to your project folder, type "clamp" and you're good to go !
But... Why ?
For local development, you had these options, all of which have their downsides :
- Installs another Apache and PHP on your system
- File structure is a bit messy
- You still have to manually create hosts
- It's difficult to have different configurations for each project
- It's big
- Adds a layer of complexity
- Since it's a VM, it's slow
- PHP internal server
- Does not run MySQL
- No Apache here, so no extensions etc.
- And of course still no hosts
I've tried all these options, but none gave me what I really needed, something as simple as running node.js or meteor : type something at the command line and get it running !
I ranted about that on twitter :